Remembering George Michael

The music industry and global community have lost a true icon.

Angelia Seda, Staff Writer

George Michael was a music legend of extraordinary proportions, loved and adored by many. He opened doors in the music industry and became a leading voice in the fight for LGTBQ rights. This is why on Christmas Day, fans were devastated by the news of his passing. Michael began his career in “Wham!,” an English musical duo comprised of Michael himself and Andrew Ridgeley. He was iconically seen dancing in all white with wavy hair and a “choose life” tee-shirt in their hit song, “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.” His solo career, beginning in 1984, was a huge success, creating hits like “Careless Whisper” and “Faith.”

Fans have gathered outside of his home in England, leaving flowers, notes, and other memorabilia to show their respect. Many celebrities have taken to social media to express their condolences. In fact, his former “Wham!” bandmate, Andrew Ridgeley, tweeted he was “heartbroken.” He was among the many people voicing their sorrows via twitter. It appears the whole world is mourning George Michael and the good he did for the global community.

Throughout the buzz, many stories of Michael’s generosity have come forth. With his astounding wealth, he donated a large sum of money to charities in private without praise. There have been many stories resurfacing of him giving money to those in need, people he did not even know prior. One woman’s story in particular stands out: Michael heard her crying over her debt, and then decided to spontaneously gift her twenty-five thousand dollars to help out. Other stories like this one have been mentioned, showing what a generous person Michael was and how much he will be missed.

Michael performing in his later years.

The Watchung Hills community has also been widely affected by Michael’s passing, due to his influence on the majority of the parental population.

Angela Muñoz, junior, who has grown up listening to 80’s style music, commented, “He was a great artist, it’s a shame.” She is among the many other students affected by his loss. The Watchung Hills community and world will miss George Michael deeply.