Musicians Mesmerize at 2016’s Jingle Ball

This year's Jingle Ball showcased talented artists, electric music, and awe-inspiring performances. It was an event not to miss.

Ishika Agrawal, Staff Writer

The iHeartRadio Jingle Ball at Madison Square Garden, hosted by Z100, was definitely the place to be seen on December 9th. The nation’s favorite pop stars from the Chainsmokers to Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, and Fifth Harmony all gave stunning performances. These artists lit the stage on fire… in some cases, quite literally. Every performance had an element worth remembering, and some highlights completely stole the show.

Fifth Harmony opened up the show with their songs “That’s My Girl,” “Sledgehammer,” “Worth It,” and their most popular number, “Work From Home.” In a backstage interview, they even confirmed the rumors of the production of a third album. Fifth Harmony has had a great year, especially with their achievement of reaching the most number of views for their music video, “Work from Home.” The girl group certainly kicked off the night with a strong start.

Fifth Harmony Performing at the Jingle Ball.

Ariana Grande’s performance brought the holiday spirit to the stage. She performed single hits from her latest album, Dangerous Woman, such as “Into You” and “Side to Side.” The artist also brought back Christmas favorites from her holiday special in 2015, Christmas and Chill, including “True Love” and “Wit it This Christmas.” As usual, the young artist’s performance had the audience  up on their feet, swaying in time to the music.  

Following a night of great performances, the arrival of the Chainsmokers on stage excited the crowd. With their songs “All We Know,” “Roses,” and “Closer,” the Chainsmokers quite literally lit the stage on fire. Not only were their fans screaming the lyrics along, but they actually had fire surging from the stage itself. Their collaboration with Daya, the fire, and the crowd singing along with the artists truly made their performance special

While all the performances were absolutely terrific, Justin Bieber’s finale stood out from the rest. Starting with his hits “Boyfriend” and “Company,” Bieber had the crowd completely captivated by the time he got to “Cold Water” and “Love Yourself,” from his newest album, Purpose, which was released in 2015. The artist then changed the vibe of his renditions when he transitioned from his dance flows to a more acoustic feel by playing his guitar. The singer kept fans screaming along throughout his performance.

Not only was the Jingle Ball one of the biggest events in New York City this month, but it was also coveted by students at Watchung Hills. Jessica Pearlstein, junior, who was unable to purchase tickets in time to attend the Jingle Ball said, “I was so disappointed I was unable to attend. The artists that performed this year were incredible. From the pictures and video I saw, I know I really missed out.”   

The Jingle Ball truly was a memorable event. In case you missed it, do not forget to watch YouTube videos of your favorite pop artists from the event.