2016 Sports: A Year to Remember

A Brief Recap of the sports achievements at WHRHS and in the world in 2016

Mckenna Frey, Staff Writer

2016 was quite an exciting year for sports with the Summer Olympics, Michael Phelps’s retirement, The Cubs winning the World Series, and much more. It was twelve entertaining months of competition and preparation for thousands of athletes around the world. 

2016 started with the Super Bowl win of the Denver Broncos over the Carolina Panthers. The final score was 24-10. Following the Super Bowl, Denver Broncos Quarterback Peyton Manning retired. He ended his career with a Super Bowl win, which happened to be his second.

In the hot summer month of August, almost every television was turned on to watch the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio. Fans of sports, young and old gathered to watch our favorite and patriotic athletes compete to represent the United States of America. USA brought home 121 medals including 46 gold medals, 37 silver medals, and 38 bronze medals. It was exciting to watch all the athletes compete. Many were looking forward to the return of the girls gymnastic team, also known as the “Fierce Five”, after their victories in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. It was also anticipated that Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte would put on an impressing performance as they wet their toes a bit as well. Ashton Eaton was crowned the best athlete of the world after winning the decathlon, and the Mens’ Basketball Team was nevertheless spectacular.

Along with the Summer Olympics, a major sports event that took place this year was Michael Phelps’s retirement. He retired from swimming with 28 medals in which 23 of those are gold. He is arguably the best swimmer of all time and will be remembered forever. Americans watched him swim his last races and cheered him on the whole time.

The Chicago Cubs gained a lot of fans this year as they made it to the World Series and won after 108 years without a World Series win. Many sports fanatics (as well as non sports fanatics) tuned in to the 7 game series for the competition. It was especially exciting to see the Cubs win after so long a period of continued loss.

Tennis player Serena Williams became the longest tennis player to remain number one. She beat the record held by Martina Navratilova of 157 weeks, and held the number one title for 300 weeks. Due to injuries, however, her ranking has dropped to 34 and she is getting older. Fans are waiting to see where her career takes her.

Watchung Hills also had many sport successes in 2016 which include our girls softball team winning the state championship! The girls had a long but successful season. Another victory includes our girls soccer team also won their conference and overall had a strong season with a record of 18 wins and 4 losses.

Overall 2016 was an eventful year in the world of sports. With ups and downs, our favorite teams and athletes had many wins, a few loses but lots of good games. We can only hope that 2017 is just as prosperous (if not more) than 2016 was for its sports affairs.