WHRHS’s Julia Cunningham Captures 1000 Points

NJ Tap

NJ Tap

Lady Warrior Basketball maintained its title of the number one team in Skyland Conference’s Raritan Division on Tuesday night. Conquering Ridge with a score of 85-61, they put on yet another show for the school community to remember. After having won eleven games and lost only three, the girls look to rest and prepare for the next challenge of their incredible season.

One player, in particular, deserves to be commended for a tremendous achievement.

Once in a while, it occurs that a basketball athlete scores 1000 points in his/her career. This is an accumulation of all seasons played by the athlete, so if a player would hope to become a “1000-pointer”, he/she would most likely need to have had strong performances in the underclassmen years.

The 1000-pointers are generally the best seniors who have been scouted and analyzed by Division I schools, played on the varsity team since freshmen year and marked by the school and the surrounding community as perhaps the “best they’ve seen in a while.”

The most recent occurrence of a 1000-point “capture” was that of Julia Cunningham’s, who’s set a new record for future athletes to meet: Julia is a junior, which means her experience is one year shorter than any other 1000-point basketball athlete in the history of WHRHS. This means that in addition to the massive difficulty of scoring 1000 points (250 points a year and approximately 80 points a month) she’s done it in the least amount of time ever observed.

The foul shot Julia made prior to scoring her 1000th point – NJ Tap

The only other female basketball player to score 1,000 points in Watchung Hills’s history was Megan Kopecki in 2007. Now, Julia’s name will join hers on the banner than hangs in gym 5/6 .

Julia needed 23 points on Tuesday night, which she reached in the first few minutes of the second quarter. In the first two minutes of the game, she had one assist and one steal. Later in the first quarter, she scored two three-point shots in less than a minute and thirty seconds. Leading the girls with a 20 point lead at the first quarter, she stepped onto the court to begin the second. When she walked off, it was with a bouquet in hand and smile spread wide across her face.

In addition to scoring 1,000 points, Julia broke a school record of most points scored in a basketball game [40].

Julia said, when asked her feelings when she scored her 1,000 point,“It was absolutely awesome when I hit the free throw to surpass 1,000 points. My teammates and coaches were all so supportive and amazing through the whole process that it made the moment very special for me.” 

Julia is currently being recruited by D-1 schools, including Michigan, Wisconsin, Princeton and UPenn. She also plays AAU basketball for the New Jersey Demons in the offseason. Julia loves basketball because “It gives back to you exactly how much you put into it.” Her seven-year experience in the game shows how much time, effort and passion Julia has put into basketball. 

We can only hope that her future career is filled with an even grander love for the game.