Balmain Bringing in the New Year

With stunning new collections being released, Balmain has certainly brought the new year to its customers in style.

Angelia Seda, Staff Writer

Over the last weekend, Balmain has been releasing pieces from its newest collections for 2017. The spring ready-to-wear 2017 collection is truly breathtaking, with designs featuring a majority of neutral colors with small pops of bright accessories or small patterns. Some monochromatic colored looks are included in the collection as well.

One monochromatic look from the spring collection.

The men’s spring ready-to-wear collection features many denim looks with many creative twists. Olivier Rousteing, creative director of Balmain, uses artistic techniques within the confines of the jean material in these looks to create some truly exquisite variations. Along with the denim outfits, the line includes many monochromatic, neutral looks as well as the famous mixed-color embroidery designs on jackets. Balmain became popular in mainstream media for these unique and distinctive designs in 2016.

An example of the denim-inspired pieces from the men’s collection.

Regardless of the charm of the spring collections, the most prominent new line is undoubtedly the Pre-Fall 2017 collection. This collection features a certain eclecticism never before seen in the fall collection throughout Balmain history.

While the 2016 fall collection was a mix of monochromatic designs and with models wearing shimmering, simple makeup, the 2017 fall collection is the polar opposite. In this collection, models are seen wearing bold, smokey eyes along with mix-matched outfits from similar color palettes. Models are also seen wearing coordinating chunky chokers and other accessories. One of the featured looks even includes a pair of 1970’s-esque flared bell-bottom pants, demonstrating again how the 1970’s and 1990’s fashion trends are indeed coming back.

Looks from the Pre-Fall collection.

Olivier Rousteing explained the collection in the showroom saying, “We all know the glamour woman of the evening, but why don’t we bring a bit of couture to daily life? Even if we’re in the bubble of a dream, we have to show a different side”(Vogue). This collection truly does exactly that, bringing a new side of Balmain to the surface. Aspects of this collection and the spring 2017 collection will surely be arriving in department stores and the halls of Watchung Hills within the months to come.