Sunny Days and Singing Students

Watchung Hills Choir Takes Home Two Golden Mickeys

Lina Rivetti

Renee Cabato, Staff Writer

Walt Disney Resort in Orlando, Florida, is known as a happy place for families and friends to go on rides and make memories. Fortunately for the Watchung Hills Choir, Disney is now also a place where they were able to perform and win two “Golden Mickeys.”

On Wednesday, February 15, members of the Watchung Hills Regional High School Choir mounted buses for their approximately twenty-hour bus ride to Orlando. This trip is one that occurs every other year, making it even more special to the students of all grade levels. Despite the long ride, students were able to talk with their friends and sleep, with the excitement of their destination to keep them motivated.

Lina Rivetti

Upon their arrival the following day, students were allowed to explore and experience the Walt Disney Resort’s numerous attractions. Sydney Moholkar (Junior) described the various rides as her favorite part; “Walking around Disney was fun and I loved having the freedom of going on the rides that you wanted to.”

That Friday, February 17, the Choir competed against other schools and performed in front of the entire Disney Park. Due to the size of the stage, only the school’s Advanced Chorus and Ensemble performed. They sang multiple different pieces; “Disney Medley,” “Frozen Heart” from the Disney movie Frozen, a Blues Brothers Medley, a Norweigan song called Eatenem Vuile, and “We Are Young” by Fun. The school successfully took home two “Golden Mickey’s.”

Lina Rivetti

Elyssa Van Houtte (Junior) claimed, “Watching my classmates perform was both entertaining and inspiring. Everyone looked so happy and [was] really into the performance. Crowds of people outside the trip seemed to really enjoy the perfohttp://whrhsarrowhead.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/disney-c.pngrmance as well. They were recording it and singing along with the Choir.”

The students also to took part in a workshop at a Disney Recording Studio. They learned about voiceovers and more, and even got to do a practice voiceover on some familiar Disney movies.

The trip was a great experience for both the students and the chaperones. Disney allowed the Choir to interact with each other in the sunny environment of Orlando, and feel the thrill of the roller coasters and attractions like young children. They returned home tan and refreshed, compared to the cold and dark days of New Jersey.

Junior Ben Allgor, a three-year Choir member and two-year member of Select Vocal Ensemble explains, “It was a competition, but it was also a chance for the entire Choir to become closer. You sit in a class with sixty kids so it’s hard to know everyone. I met so many new people on this trip and it was a great experience.”