WHRHS Hockey: A Cool Season

A Quick Peek at the Recent Success of WHRHS's Hockey Teams

Adnan Contractor, Sports Editor

As the Winter athletic season comes to a conclusion and the Spring ambience begins to arrive, it is only fit to commend WH athletes for an incredible performance in the last months. The Wrestling team’s state championship wins, the Fencers’ sharp shows, Cunningham’s 1000th game point, and Winter Track records have only evinced this intense progression.

Adding to the above successes is a commendable season from the cooler athletes of WH.

Recently, the Boys Varsity Ice Hockey Team worked for rather entertaining upsets against Hunterdon Central, Livingston, and Princeton. They’ve retaliated in the last 23 seconds of the final period, stopped goals as time dwindled, and forced crowds from their seats after truly incredible matches. All this was for the state tournament, and their journey reached its peak on Sunday evening, when they competed for the championship against Ridge.

It appears as though the stakes [or skates, rather] were quite high.

Sunday night’s match was held at Mennen Arena, where the avid student body supported WH to the greatest extent attainable – our athletes faced off with a team that has shared an aggressively competitive athletic history in the past. Although the game’s outcome wasn’t as pleasing as they were hoping for, the fans ensured that WH joined in on the celebrations. It truly was an excellent season.

Success’s manifestation in “V-Squad Hockey” began relatively early in the winter months: captained and led by a variety of seniors [which included Ryan McHugh and Matthew Piro] “goals” were projected to venture into the state rounds.

The team also had its fair share of younger puppies who received the opportunity to train with the bigger dogs. Sophomore Liam Feeley, for example, commented on the season approximately one week after the team’s loss at Mennen:

“I’ve had the chance to train with some of the best athletes and brothers I could have asked for. Dan [Daniel Lee, senior], Matt [Matthew Piro], Ryan and Mitch [McHugh] and so many others have influenced me in ways unimaginable.”

Mitchell McHugh, also a sophomore, spoke of the season’s end as well:

“We can’t expect to make ourselves state champs overnight. Athletics is about winning and losing – if all teams everywhere just won whenever they played, we wouldn’t have much to see.”

The athletic history of WH has yielded some incredible victories for our students. “Goals” and aspirations were made, and judging from the recent performance(s), each player was certainly hungry enough to fulfill them.

Yet in this season, the hockey boys have shown that a win is negligible when compared to the effort and motivation inputed into the team’s functioning – it is the journey to success that is success itself, not a trophy or a championship certificate at the end. Our boys have exerted quite a bit of strain in the last couple of months, and it’s only time for the baton to be passed to the spring athletes for their own progression.

But that is a story for another day.