A Tale as Old as Time

WHRHS Script and Cue Presents Beauty and the Beast

Rachel Krouk, Staff Writer

We have heard the story, we have seen the classic, and now we are all falling in love with Emma Watson’s rendition. The WHRHS performance of Beauty and the Beast is sure to be another wondrous interpretation of the classic fairy tale.

Beauty and the Beast centers around Belle, the black sheep of a small French village, and the Beast, a man who once had good looks and no heart. Their unexpected love teaches that beauty comes from within rather than skin deep.

This musical is presented by Script and Cue, the WHRHS theater program, and directed by drama teacher Mr. Eaton.

Rachel Krouk

Assistant Director Emily Snead (junior) commented on the atmosphere of Script and Cue, and the theater community as a whole. “I just love how there’s such a welcoming environment in the theater community, it’s just something that I’ve never really experienced before with any other group of people, it’s accepting of everyone, and there’s always someone to be friends with or talk to here.”

The musical will also feature live music, as conducted by band teacher Mr. McCullen.

Violin player Emma Golkin (freshman) describes her experience in the pit as a worthwhile one. “So far, my experience in the pit has been wonderful, I really enjoy being part of something so great and being able to play with such talented musicians, and it’s just been a very wonderful and enriching experience,” Emma elaborates.

This production of Beauty and the Beast stars Hannah Melillo (senior) as Belle and Sam Sinnott (junior) as the Beast.

Rachel Krouk

“[Like Belle] I also like to read and I try to see the beauty within someone, rather than looking at their outward appearance,” Hannah Melillo explained when asked how she can relate to her role.

Both Hannah and Sam have starred in many shows in the past, both in and out of school. In school productions, Hannah has held the roles of Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors, as well as a customer in She Loves Me, and Sam has played Peter Van Daan in The Diary of Anne Frank, the telegraph boy in The Skin of Our Teeth, and George in She Loves Me.

“[Everyone] should definitely come because although it’s a classic story that’s always told… we bring a lot of new liveliness to it,” Sam Sinnott commented on the reason everyone should attend the show.

All of the talented students in the show have been working on this Disney classic since the auditions in December, and the show is sure to be a success. For anyone interested in attending, tickets to this beloved classic on March 30th (7pm), 31st (7pm), and April 1 (2pm and 7pm) can be purchased here.