Hip, Hip, Harrah’s

WHRHS FBLA members compete at Harrah’s Resort in Atlantic City for the New Jersey FBLA State Leadership Conference.

http://www.randalpinkett.com/images/fbla.jpg

Renee Cabato, Staff Writer

Students of the Watchung Hills Future Business Leaders of America Club (FBLA) are among many other students in the FBLA organization, a nonprofit organization dedicated to developing students’ business skills for education and beyond. According to the FBLA organization website, the leaders hope to “bring business and education together in a positive working relationship through innovative leadership and career development programs.”

This past week, from March 15 to March 17, was the New Jersey FBLA State Leadership Conference, the annual competition for the New Jersey state chapter, which also happens to be the 27th oldest chapter of FBLA. The competition was held at Harrah’s Resort in Atlantic City, New Jersey, where students also stayed overnight.

Members of the club competed in different categories, ranging from Business Ethics to Graphic Design. The benefit of the club and conference, according to Junior Andrew Pluta, is that it is “catered to multiple people. It was at this conference where I realized how broad and all encompassing business was; it was nice to see my potential options for a future in business.”

After settling into the hotel, students began the conference with an introductory presentation from leaders of New Jersey’s FBLA chapter. The students were entertained by poker games to get into the “business mentality,” and some took part in workshops, tests, or presentations in attempts to qualify for the national conference in California. Members of the club had previously signed up for the different categories, and had taken qualifying state or regional tests, or written essays, in order to be invited into the conference.

Teacher and advisor for the club, Ms. Megan Finneran, was pleased by the overall experience. Finneran teaches multiple business-related classes at Watchung Hills. She described the conference as an opportunity for “members to come to test their knowledge and skills through competitive events, share successes, and learn new ideas about shaping their careers through workshops and exhibits. The conference went well and I hope to have more students interested in business join our club next year.”

The efforts of the students that participated were rewarded well, as there were a total of eight WHRHS students placing as winners, seven more than the number of students from the previous year. Last year, then sophomore Demetra Chang made WHRHS history by being the first ever student to place. This year, the winners include: Reid Baltuch and Renzo Mayhall with 3rd place in the Business Ethics category; Vamsi Desu with 4th place for the Coding and Programming category; Freddie Hayeck, Sahil Patel, and Eris ULaj with 3rd place in Global Business; and Kevin Tan and Peter Wu with 1st place in Management Decision Making.

Junior Renzo Mayhall, a member of the club since sophomore year and a qualifier for nationals this year, praises the trip and awaits his opportunity to continue on further in the competition. “On this trip, I consistently have a great time meeting new people, working on my business-related skills, and being with friends. It’s a great experience, and I’m looking forward to next year.”