“More Life” for Drake’s Career

As Drake releases an admittedly lackluster new album, fans long for a new facet to his sound.

Angelia Seda, Staff Writer

As an artist, Drake has evolved significantly through the years, showing time and time again his talents as an artist. In his newest album, More Life, however, he seems to combine each era of his new sounds into one. Whether it be the beat of the song or the rhythm of his lyrics, this album is reminiscent of the old Drake in some shape or form. This is the Drake audiences grew to love. The sad Drake. The profound Drake. The Drake that is in touch with his feminine side. Drake is back with “more life,” and his old life has seamlessly disappeared. Thus, creating an abyss of pop culture references along with beats that would belong in the background of a “beauty guru’s” Instagram makeup tutorial. A sound that many of Watchung Hills’ Drake fans hate.

This album begins with a striking soulful melody titled, “Free Smoke,” that progresses into a hip-hop beat. This follows Drake beginning with a hook which is the repetition of the title. The lyrics of this song reflect Drake’s reminiscing about life before fame and fortune, showing how far he’s come and the mere strength of his will power. The phrase, “free smoke,” is a phrase that alludes to shootings, essentially giving Drake a more obscure way of saying “try me if you dare”.

The opening song really gives a feel for the whole album in the sense that it is Drake showing his true arrogance and cockiness regarding his success. At this point in his career, he knows how famous and powerful he is and this album reflects that. He doesn’t necessarily try to show or give anything unique or new to this album because of this; most songs are either very aggressive or more mellow lyrically over a mix of an island and hip hop beat. However, one song does stick out titled “Portland,” this song in particular featuring Quavo and Young Thug has a flute as the main source of the beat that resembles the same flute used in “Broccoli” by Lil Yachty. Portland” is a more interesting song on this album giving Drake fans a taste of a bit of something new.

Drake’s new album seems to reflect arrogance that comes from prior success.

Most students attending Watchung Hills that were asked about this album simply did not like it. Ryan Kelly (Junior) when asked stated “I hate it, the entire vibe of the album sucks.”

His friend, Josh Pester, also did not like this album, “The beginning of the first song isn’t my favorite and the rest is also not that great.” These are just two of the fifteen people asked about this album who said they disliked it, perhaps the reason why Drake’s Watchung Hills’ following longs for a new era of sound or just the older Drake back. Yet regardless of the reason for distaste for this particular album, Drake will continue to dominate the pop culture field and give “more life” to his career in the future.