Generation Z Going to Gerber Baby Food

Gerber CEO Bill Partyka advises Watchung Hills students for a future at Gerber

Student presidents of FBLA, Mrs. Finneran, Bill Partyka and his team gather for a picture

Image via the FBLA club's social media

Image via the FBLA club's social media

Renee Cabato, Staff Writer

Bill Partyka, CEO of the Gerber Company, visited Watchung Hills this past Tuesday, April 25, to advise students on his rise to success in business, and how students can “brand” themselves to be successful. Partyka was accompanied by other members of his “team”: Social Media Manager Cassie Savage, and Head of Talent Acquisition Mike Elko. Partyka lead a presentation encouraging students on their path in business, shaping them into future Gerber employees.

In his presentation, Partyka outlined his 4 steps to success in business: define one’s personal brand, be self-aware of his/her reputation, think global, and expect success. Partyka informed students of his background and journey to where he is now. He encouraged students of their potential in the future business world.

On the students and their potential to work for Gerber, Partyka noted,  “At some point many of you are going to be working…and the importance of that next generation of leaders is that at some point in time, I’m going to retire and I’m going to need the right people working at the right time there.”

Two other members of the CEO’s team also spoke to the students. This included Cassie Savage, the manager for the company’s Social Media, who also happened to be an alumni of Basking Ridge High School, a rival athletic school of Watchung Hills. Savage emphasized the constantly changing business world; how Gerber employees and students should and are continuing to keep up with its changes. She previewed students with Gerber’s new “look”, or product image, and showed a video introducing Gerber’s “Dorothy,” their equivalent of iPhone’s “Siri.” “Dorothy” will be available 24/7 to Gerber customers, parents in need of “developmental and nutritional guidance.”

Head of Talent Acquisition Mike Elko also lectured the students, talking to the students directly to help them get hired at Gerber. Elko, Savage, and Partyka all stressed the importance of success and personal strive to the students to do well in the business world. “You have the ability to build yourself as the employee that we want working for our company,” says Elko. “You are the one that gets you hired.”

Renee Cabato
Bill Partyka concludes his presentation to Watchung Hills students

The session ended with a “Q & A”, where students could personally ask Partyka and his team members any questions they had. At the end, Partyka rewarded the students with free t-shirts with the Gerber Baby Logo and free samples of their snacks.

Angela Gage (Junior) claims she learned a lot from attending the presentation. “It was an incredible experience seeing Bill Partyka… I learned a lot about business and I am glad I was able to have this once in a lifetime experience.”

The students left with both their Gerber merchandise and their lessons learned from the experienced CEO.