Mock Trial Finds Spring Recruits

Mock Trial is gaining members to carry on its legacy

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/44/53/77/9617350/13/920x920.jpg&sa=D&ust=1493485398542000&usg=AFQjCNF8uUxWR7yUWLxbHFFJBwCOBuHkcQ

Sofia Kwon, Staff Writer

Mock Trial has had one of its most successful seasons in WHRHS history, winning the Somerset County Mock Trial tournament and advancing to regional competitions. This can be credited to the current Mock Trial team that has worked so hard to be where they are today, after much practice and winning all of their preliminary rounds.

However, the club is now looking to future prospects, recently coming up with the idea of holding a “spring competition.” For many years the team has had many strong seasons, as well as some that were not as strong due to the graduating seniors each year. It takes time to make the new members confident and comfortable to compete. Currently, the team has many sophomores and juniors, and thus next year the team will have mostly the same members, and its success should continue. Still, to ensure success and offer prospective club members the opportunity to simulate a mock trial competition, the club has begun recruiting and employing their idea of a spring competition.

One of the new members, Ian Martin, has so far had a great experience with the club: “I joined the club because of the experience it provides for a career that I am considering in the future. It also provides a way to improve analytical skills in a fun way. So far the club has been great as we prepare for our spring competition. All club members have been extremely nice and helpful, making the club more inclusive and a better experience!”

Club advisor Mr. Porter wants to consistently have good seasons, which is why the idea of spring competition came up. Instead of having to “train” the new members each fall, he always wants to have students (litigators) that already have some previous experience. In addition, he said that he “wants to try to have enough members of the club that we have a sort of JV team as well as our Varsity competition team. They could practice against each other, and build up their skills and knowledge.  And also have more fun, because more people are actively participating in the club.”

A big aspect of Mock Trial is to have fun and learn like Mr. Porter had mentioned, as well as to keep the club growing with new members. With spring competitions, the new members can practice through different workshops, and talk to previous members to receive advice on preparing for competitions and learn about how the competitions work. Current member and Co-President Megan Gerges loves the idea of this spring recruitment as it is a “great opportunity to get to know people before auditions and for people to get to know us and learn what we’re about.”