The Struggle for Sandals

Becky Novik, Contributing Writer

As warmer weather approaches, the students of Watchung Hills Regional High School are starting to tap into their summer closets, and the chronicles of finding the perfect summer sandal come and haunt us yet again.
Every year, shoe-hunters are faced with the challenge of finding the perfect summer slip-on or flip-flop, all while trying to maintain some sort of comfort in each new find. One can imagine the difficulties with these strappy concoctions, as every foot is different.

Junior Jill McInerney certainly had a lot to say the stress involved with summer shoe shopping.
“For me, all the open summer shoes are just too uncomfortable. They give me blisters and never fit my foot right.”

Mikaela Brandon, another Junior here at WHRHS, sympathized with Jill’s plight as well, as she finds sandal shopping to be incredibly challenging because of the lack of practically in each shoe.
“There is no support. And the prices are absurd.”

Many other students at Watchung Hills have also expressed their dissatisfaction with summer shoe shopping scene as comfort, practically, and bargains are permanent aspects of all fashion-lovers’ minds.
A major inconvenience for sandal-hunters is the trend of the season, which involves an uncomfortable strip of leather connecting the big toes and the heel strap along the top of one’s foot. This encases the foot in a rigid line, and offers little flexibility and movement for feet.

Some of the most prominent sandal designers of this era, and proponents of the notorious style, include Sam Edelman, Steve Madden, and Dolce Vita. Often called the “Gigi Sandal,” (in at least the Edelman collections), this shoe is simple, as much as it is simply painful.

Luckily there is light at the end of the tunnel for the sandal struggle, as next year will bring new trends, and hopefully will include ones with a more keen sense of comfort and sensibility. For those that can’t wait until then, start your own trend. And for those who can tolerate the pain or love the style of 2014’s popular sandals, more power to you.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Struggle for Sandals”

1. Antome on December 25th, 2015 10:00 am

Aren’t the slingback more flattering without need to raise the heel? Sounds like a huge bonus to me :).

[Reply]

The Struggle for Sandals