WHRHS is Fashion Forward This Fall

above: WHRHS Sophomore, Victoria Solon

above: WHRHS Sophomore, Victoria Solon

Angela Muñoz

Angela Muñoz

above: WHRHS Sophomore, Victoria Solon

Michelle Du, Student News Editor

As temperatures begin to drop and pumpkins pop up on front porches, WHRHS students pull up to school adorned in outfits to fit the fall season. Shorts and tank tops are reluctantly retired from students’ wardrobes and are replaced by knit sweaters, scarves, and boots.

Fall fashion is marked by the warm colors inspired by changing leaves, textured fabrics, and anything comfy and cozy. At Watchung Hills, some trends have been especially popular among students and will definitely be seen in the halls of WHRHS this season.

More than anything, flannels have been the most significant fall trend in Watchung Hills and beyond. From the original red and blue plaid to variations in colors like green or purple, these button-down flannel shirts have found their way into everyone’s fall must-haves. Due to the wool and cotton fibers in flannels, they are extremely soft and comfortable, ideal for a long day at school.

Many also like to take advantage of the versatility of flannels especially during the fluctuating temperatures as summer transitions into the colder months. Flannels can be worn over a t-shirt or tank top when breezes come along or tied around one’s waist during warmer times. WHRHS sophomore, Katey Berger says, “When I’m rushing in the morning it’s so easy to just slip on a flannel and leggings and be done. You should see my closet, it’s unbelievable how many flannels I have.”

Unlike flannels, which have been popular for a couple years already, suede is a trend specific to this fall. The ‘70s have returned in fashion and suede has become an increasingly sought-after fabric. Suede, whether faux or real, has a soft but textured finish and is very lightweight making it perfect for this transitioning period between summer and winter. The unique texture and feel of suede makes it the perfect fashion statement to pair with any outfit this fall.

Like clothing, makeup has its own fall trends. Lips can make an entire look come together and this fall, berry shades are in. Berry lips fit the warm color palette of fall and can suit anyone. If one isn’t comfortable with the possibly intimidating, intense shade, more sheer options are always available. Berry tinted lip balms add a light wash of color and moisture making them a beautiful option for school. For those who would prefer to go for a bold statement, an opaque, liquid lipstick would definitely do the trick.

All in all, fall is the season of change; leaves change color, a fresh school year begins, and fashion adapts to the new trends of the season. From warm, cozy flannels, to bold, berry lips, suede shirts, skirts and everything in between, WHRHS is fashion forward this fall.

1 Comment

One Response to “WHRHS is Fashion Forward This Fall”

1. Stephanie Chavanne on October 7th, 2015 8:39 am

I don’t own many flannels, but I think they look really cute. I don’t like cold temperatures, but I’m super excited for hoodies!

[Reply]

• WHRHS is Fashion Forward This Fall

WHRHS Walkout – March 14, 2018

• Features

TALENT SHOW: ALS Alliance Club Brings School Together While Donating to a Charitable Cause

• Features

HQ: Another Trivia Trend?

• Health & Wellness

Wellness at Watchung Hills

• WHRHS is Fashion Forward This Fall

Features

Taking a Knee: Peaceful Protest or a Sign of Disrespect?

• WHRHS is Fashion Forward This Fall

Features

Sleep: A Vicious Cycle

• WHRHS is Fashion Forward This Fall

Features

Presenting the 2017 Nobel Prize in Literature Laureate: Kazuo Ishiguro

• WHRHS is Fashion Forward This Fall

Simply Complicated: Demi Lovato’s Eye-Opening Documentary

• WHRHS is Fashion Forward This Fall

Features

NaNoWrimo: WHRHS Students Write 50k Words

• WHRHS is Fashion Forward This Fall

Lady Warrior Tennis Triumphs and Trials, 2017

WHRHS is Fashion Forward This Fall