Zika Virus Outbreak

Zika virus is primarily spread through mosquitoes.

(Photo courtesy Fotolia/TNS)

Ishani Shah, Staff Writer

Zika virus is a disease transmitted to people through the Aedes species mosquito. The first case of the virus was found in Brazil in May 2015. In order for someone to get the disease, the mosquito has to carry the virus first.

This year’s El Niño pattern caused the mosquito population to spread.  El Nino has caused a lot of flooding in countries like Brazil. The large standing waters are very ideal for mosquitos and have contributed to the spread of the Zika virus.

The symptoms include fever, rash, joint point, and conjunctivitis. The symptoms last from several days to a week according to the CDC. Sometimes people do not realize they get infected because when they get sick, the symptoms are less severe. The disease is  most infamous for its effect on pregnant women, as it can affect their babies. Zika can cause the babies to have shrunken heads, and severe disabilities.

Zika virus is currently in the U.S, Cape Verde, The Caribbean Island, Panama, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Samoa, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Suriname, and Venezuela.

Mr. Wolsko, a biology teacher at Watchung Hills said, “As will all health concerns, especially since we’ve moved from small, relatively isolated communities to a true global community, I think it’s very important to keep in touch with reputable sources of information regarding Zika.  Pregnant women need to be aware that travel to areas that have Zika virus can potentially put them at risk for getting infected and causing complications (which really are irreversible) to their unborn children.”

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported that there are 36 people that have been diagnosed with Zika Virus, including four pregnant women.

“It is important to note that we will not have a widely available safe and effective Zika vaccine this year and probably not in the next few years” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

The CDC states, “There is no vaccine to prevent Zika.The best way to prevent diseases spread by mosquitoes is to avoid being bitten. Protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites.”