Clown Hysteria Gone Overboard

Creepy clowns have been appearing throughout the nation while sparking fear and controversy.

The origin of the sightings appeared to have been in South Carolina in late August

Via nbcnews.com

Ishani Shah, Staff Writer

As Halloween quickly approaches, people are coming up with new ideas to incite Halloween fear, but lately they have become a serious problem. Recently, clown hysteria has been taking over the country. People have been dressing as clowns and terrorizing others; it has even gotten to the point of police involvement.

The first reported account was from in South Carolina in late August when a clown attempted to lure children in the woods. Since then, creepy clown sightings have been on the rise, although most of the incidents have proven to be hoaxes.

Those who dress up as clowns and make threats are now facing legal consequences.

According to Rainbow City, Alabama Police Chief Jonathon Horton, “While many were hoaxes, a handful of the incidents resulted in arrests: in Alabama, at least seven people have faced felony charges of making a terrorist threat connected to a clown-related activity.”

As a result of the hysteria, people who dress up as clowns for parties and events to make a living are receiving death threats, even sparking a “Clown Lives Matter” movement on social media that has attempted to organize marches to promote the cause.

Near our community, a clown had been spotted in Bound Brook on Mountain Avenue.

Susan Russell from myCentralJersey.com wrote, “A man dressed as a creepy clown with a black cloak, painted white face. and black wig stepped out of the bushes as a Bound Brook high school student was heading to class. Fortunately, this sighting did not escalate, and no one was hurt.

Some of the students of Watchung Hills had a few words on the clown sightings.

Philip Ding, a freshman at the Hills mentioned, “The clowns give me paranoia. My house has three massive windows without curtains, and at night I feel like a clown could just pop up.”

Junior Alanna Margulies added, “Although the clowns are frightening, I don’t feel directly threatened by them. If I’m walking my dog at night, I’m a little more careful than I normally am, but I try to avoid being out alone at night anyway. That said, I can see how threatening clowns being on the loose can be frightening and why it has become a massive problem that needs to be cracked down on.”