Fall Fashion: From the Runway to the Hallway

This season's Fashion Week has created some trends that are hard to miss.

Felicia Laviola, Staff Writer

Deep fall has finally arrived, but what to wear? That is the main question nagging the back of minds this season. Cute boots and destroyed jeans just are not cutting it anymore.

For the past two weeks, The Arrowhead has studied Fashion Week’s biggest clothing and makeup trends. For example, one unforgettable fashion statement occurred when Bella Hadid rocked her velvet choker while draped in a beautiful nude corset. She also caught eyes later in the Dior Show with thick eyeliner and coral colored lips, makeup trends one can see in the halls of Watchung Hills.

However, WHRHS students are not the only ones noticing and wearing the trends this fall. Corporations and designers are taking note of trends that show creativity and retro-ness. According to the New York Times, “Fashion, after all, is in the midst of its own renovation. Not just because of the four new designers who debuted their new visions for their brands (Dior, Lanvin, YSL, Valentino) over the last week, or the shifting balance of power between the creative and corporate sides, but because it is rethinking a system that has been writ in silk for decades.”

Designers are noting the appearance of new trends that are coming in quicker waves than in prior years of fashion. Anna Wintour was seen in a video noticing the quick changes taking place in Fashion Weeks and how consumers are working faster, buying trends quicker than ever before

The Arrowhead has made note of must-have essentials that students are wearing (or should be) this fall, inspired by Fashion Week:

First, over-the-knee boots are cute, trendy, and will keep one warm. They have been worn this fall by Gigi Hadid and Kylie Jenner, as seen in Instagram photos for the past two months and in the Vogue Italia September issue. Over-the-knee boots can be found at urbanoutfitters.com or nastygal.com.

Another must-have trend this fall is sweater dresses. This trend is an extension of the popular summer trend, t-shirt dresses. The sweater dress is a staple piece that varies from warming to casual styles that are easy to wear and functional as well. This trend was yet again worn by Gigi Hadid, in the Isabel Marant show, and Kylie Jenner, stylized with over-the-knee boots!

screen-shot-2016-11-25-at-8-34-34-pmThirdly, ponchos, an early 2000’s staple for the fall have finally returned. Ponchos were seen on the runway for Burberry and Rag & Bone for 2015 and then subsequently hit the streets. Ponchos are pieces that can be worn through multiple seasons because they are warming.

The Arrowhead’s fourth major trend that students are wearing is velvet chokers. Chokers have made a huge comeback since the Kate Moss era, but secretly they are functional: they can keep one’s neckwarm. The trend of velvet chokers was seen early on in a selfie by Bella Thorne. They then hit the runway in the Dior Show on Bella Hadid. Velvet chokers can be found at local boutiques or in many online stories like forever21.com. screen-shot-2016-11-25-at-8-34-53-pm

The final trend to make note of this season is turtleneck shirts. Whether a thick sweater or a thin shirt, high-rising neck lines are this fall’s go-to look. They are comfortable, and depending on their styling, can be both edgy or soft. Shirts like these can be found at americaneagle.com.

Ultimately, Fashion Week this season has yielded a number of trends that students at WHRHS are certainly radiating in. Not only the five staple pieces The Arrowhead has noticed, but many others have transcended from the runway to the hallway, and they make for one on-trend student body.