Fencers Sharpen their Foil for the New Season

New coaching staff for the WHRHS Fencing Team

http://fencingwarriors.org

Sofia Kwon, Staff Writer

As the fencing season quickly approaches at Watchung Hills, the Fencing Team has made significant changes in preparation for the new season. The boys’ and girls’ fencing teams have been lucky enough to acquire three new coaches, all of whom are more than eager and excited to begin the season. The boys’ new head coach is Mr. Iacovone, who teaches Broadcast Journalism and Video Production at Watchung Hills. The girls’ new head coach is Mr. Clark, who currently teaches at Warren Middle School.

The assistant coach is Mr. Hardy, who works at Watchung Hills as well, and cannot wait for the new season.

His goal for the team is to “promote learning, life skills, sportsmanship, citizenship, and a healthy lifestyle.”

Though the first match is not until December 20, Mr. Hardy’s experience has already been “more than anticipated.” Not only is the new coach’s energy great for the team, but the fencers are amazing as well and put in their all.

As Mr. Hardy emphasized, “our student athletes are engaged, and working tenaciously to better their fencing skills and the skills of those around them.”

Sophomore fencer Elizabeth Bruno cannot wait for the upcoming season, in addition to getting to know these new coaches better: “They seem to have so much interest in this program, which is great!”

Moreover, the girls’ captain, Brooke Stanicki (senior), described how the team feels regarding the recent change: “The coaches are very nice and veterans of the team are stepping up to help them out. I think the season will turn out really well, because our fencers are talented and capable!”

Director of Athletics Mr. Van Vliet is also excited for the future of the fencing team, and is “proud of our fencers and our fencing program, and [is] excited for our new coaching staff.”

For the team, his goals are “to provide our student athletes with excellent athletic experiences while helping them grow, have fun, and maximize their potential.”

Another sophomore fencer, Alvin Lee, is eager to see what this season holds, as “the new coaches are great and I trust and believe that they will help out team to make a great season!”

While it can be difficult to adjust to change, with the collective efforts of the fencers and the new coaches, success is inevitable. Best of luck to the Fencing Team and The Arrowhead cannot wait to see what the future holds for the team!