Beauty, Fashion, and Style: The International Beauty Show

The International Beauty Show 2016 was a massive hit, leaving everyday trendsetters excited for what 2017's show is promising.

Felicia Laviola, Staff Writer

At Watchung Hills we often find ourselves submerged into a subculture of different trends and longterm styles. Some dress with a style solely based around Vineyard Vines and Tory Burch. Others are lost in the latest Adidas and Nike sneaker releases. Some follow the trends put out by iconic models such as Gigi Hadid and Zendaya.

But beauty, style, and aesthetic trends start with large company brands that insert themselves at the consumer level. The International Beauty Show (IBS) is the biggest and longest running beauty show and performs exactly this task for major brands. 10 Times called the 2016 show “the biggest show in beauty.”

The International Beauty Show’s logo.

The 2016 International Beauty Show set the record for “biggest attendance for the show” in years according to IBS marketers. The show set the newest trends for the year to come. For example, in 2016 Morphe set the stage for IBS’s makeup station. Next thing, Morphe blew up on social media as having the best upcoming eyeshadow palettes on the market.

Besides the aesthetics of makeup, IBS is a host for large competitions between barbers and hairstylists. Barbers from around the world compete for fastest fades and other hair styles and designs. While that goes on, celebrity stylists promote educational courses for certified beauty school students.

This year’s International Beauty Show will last for three days, March 12-14, in two locations: Las Vegas and New York City. It promises a host of new fads and fashions for consumers to appreciate. Within those three days, the trends for the year 2017 are officially set. What does that mean for style at Watchung Hills?

Style in the Hills works like any other area in America. The trends start with the celebrities, artists, models, and designers. Then they are presented to the skilled artists, like hairstylists and makeup artists. Recently, aesthetics are based on social media. What is seen on a Instagram page goes into the consumer market. Because of this, students at Watchung Hills can officially purchase or receive the trends put forth at the IBS show with just the click of a button. Student style is dynamic under the influence of the International Beauty Show!