Students Take on the World

Model United Nations Club takes a trip to the University of Delaware

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ths.topekapublicschools.net/assets/Club%2520logos/modelun.png&sa=D&ust=1488850750368000&usg=AFQjCNEFF_xE0zn-OorReXr95GahPZPhKQ

Sofia Kwon, Staff Writer

Model United Nations (MUN) is an interactive club at WHRHS that teaches students about real world issues. Students are able to learn about current world problems and foreign affairs, while simultaneously learning skills about public speaking.

During MUN, each student represents a country and they are able to discuss various topics and global problems. It is amazing to see how such young students are able to think of such creative and intelligent solutions to many of the world’s problems.

Senior and MUN member Suchir Govindarajan agrees as, “The fact that high schoolers can come up with these amazing diplomatic solutions to solve problems for people across the world is nothing less than incredible. It really makes you appreciate the power of someone you never thought could make a difference.”

Recently, the MUN Club has taken a trip to the University of Delaware for the HenMUN conference. During this conference, the students were given a topic, which could have been anything from terrorism to heroin trade to corruption. All of the countries, which are represented by students, participate to debate the topic and ponder possible solutions, forcing students to consider each country’s position on the topic. This makes for a wide variety of answers and a very interesting and innovative discussion.

Sophomore and club member Devika Govindarajan was in amazement as she was able to watch “students from across the globe come together to solve problems that you’d never think a child is capable of doing. Adults are always saying you’re just a child, but Model UN conferences just prove them wrong.”

After hearing from a few members of the MUN club, it was rather evident how much they each love this club, and what it has allowed them to do. MUN can be a rather intimidating experience, as you have to be able to speak in front of many people. Sophomore Mariam Ivanishvili was nervous at first, but explained, “as I listened to other students my confidence grew and I ended up speaking a lot. I learned how to compromise and persuade people and above all how to be a diplomat. I learned that just because you are afraid of something, it doesn’t mean you will fail or you shouldn’t do it. Face your fears, that’s what I did and at the end I came out much more experienced as well as with tons of new memories. I think other people should try clubs like Model UN because it’s such a great learning and social experience.”

MUN is a very enriching club that all students could benefit from. It can help many different aspects of students’ lives, as three-year member Suchir Govindarajan emphasized, describing his involvement in MUN as “a life altering experience.”