They are Simply Just That Good

Mrs. Gajewski and Ms. Kumpf have been named the Teachers of the Year for the 2016-2017 school year

Teachers of the Year, Ms. Kumpf (left) and Mrs. Gajewski (middle), stand alongside Mr. Alexis

Image via tapinto.net

Image via tapinto.net

Chase Goldstein, Staff Writer

Let’s give a round of applause for our Teachers of the Year, Mrs. Gajewski and Ms. Kumpf!

In order to be nominated for the award, students, faculty members, and community members select the teachers. The nominations are reviewed and discussed by a panel of former recipients of the Teacher of the Year award, and various other members of administration.

Mrs. Gajewski is an English teacher, a business advisor for the Arrowhead Newspaper, and an advisor for the Intervention and Referral Team. Mrs. Gajewski has been teaching at Watchung Hills for thirty-seven years, and has shown non-stop dedication to her students, as well as her colleagues. Mrs. Gajewski claims the honor was “unexpected, and exciting.”

In response to receiving the award, Mrs. Gajewski stated, “It is really nice to be recognized by the students. I have seen many changes and to be a part of all of that is also exciting. Not to sound cliche – I love what I do and have been extremely lucky throughout my years here. Being named Teacher of the Year is a recognition that I will always hold dear to my heart.”

Ms. Kumpf is a Student Assistant Counselor (SAC) at WHRHS and has had this position for fifteen years. The core curriculum of Ms. Kumpf’s profession involves bonding with students, encouraging them to be their best selves, and guiding them to find the resources they need along the way. Ms. Kumpf claims she was drawn to the SAC position because “of the opportunity to counsel students about a variety of issues, particularly substance abuse prevention, and the flexibility to design prevention and intervention programs and activities, such as Challenge Day.”

She also enjoys working in a school, where she can interact with students before they experience crises, help build resilience, coping and confidence, and help prevent some of the issues that she saw in the agencies other than schools she worked in. Ms. Kumpf stated, “I love this job because I get to meet with students individually and really get to know them – to help counsel, coach and cheerlead them through some important years in their lives – it’s one of the best jobs in the school!”

Ms. Kumpf and Mrs. Gajewski are great, dedicated teachers that deserved the Teacher of the Year Award for their great commitment to the students and WHRHS as a whole.