Summer Fashion at Watchung Hills

Although school is beginning to wind down, summer fashion trends are just getting started.

Felicia Laviola, Staff Writer

While school is finally slowing down, fashion is full speed ahead. As the weather begins to warm up, the hallways of Watchung Hills are becoming filled with sundresses and floral printed shirts. This season is even more diverse than the past summer seasons. Every season tests the societal limits put forth on fashion, and this year they are being broken in a new and unique way. Gender walls are being broken and barriers being pushed down by the fashion industry.

This season’s trends are infused with politically challenging statement pieces. Many students at Watchung Hills are embracing these trends and strutting the hallways with these pieces. 

Topping off the list as the most important and popular article is jewelry. While many people see hoops as a classic earring worn mostly in the 90s by popular R&B artists, like Aaliyah, they are also a piece of an ethnic culture. Big, dangly hoops have been a part of Hispanic and African-American culture for decades. While the trend is embraced for its attractive appeal, it also is breaking the platform of cultural barriers. Women of all skin tones are embracing the jewelry and bridging the cultural gap in America. Some people view fashion as a piece of clothing to wear day to day, while others use it to defuse differences in society.

An example of hoop earrings.

Next are the boyfriend jeans. While many students wore them during the winter, boyfriend jeans rolled up and paired with a band tee is a perfect summer look. In a society where women are pushed to wear tighter and tighter clothing, this trend tests the gender limitations. Women are embracing comfort finally. Looking comfy, rather than collected is a trend that both men and women can finally embrace together.

A senior gives her opinion on gender and fashion saying, “I think that [breaking down barriers] is an important enough reason to embrace men’s fashion and vise versa (a male in a crop top is a beautiful thing). What I mean by that is that there’s so much of a divide between men and women all the way down to the way the buttons on their shirt face. And all that does is form toxicity and [prevent] the two from allowing themselves to express themselves and their gender identity how it’s meant to be expressed-as a spectrum, not just two opposite and rigid things.”

She goes on by saying that the boyfriend jean is gaining popularity because it’s more about comfortability that the sexual aspect of always looking good and appealing to the eye.

Boyfriend jeans are the perfect combination of comfort and fashion.

Next, testing the limits of fashion is the sneaker game. Imagine this look: a girl strutting the halls with the newest Nike Air Force Ones. Many sneakers that are trending for women can be found at Urban outfitters. While sandals will always be a must have in the summer, sneakers are becoming the norm to wear with any type of outfit to give it the perfect edgy and relaxed look. Many trending brands include, Adidas, Reebok, and Puma.

Lastly on this list, are retro edgy sunglasses, the bigger the better. Unconventionally shaped glasses are a must-have in the closet. For example, a simple slight cat eye at the end of oversized glasses are a staple piece to accent an outfit. One junior at Watchung Hills shops for the best glasses at Urban Outfitters or any small boutique in one of the four towns. “I just love shopping in boutiques that are tiny and unique. They have the most original glasses I’ve ever seen,” exclaimed the junior when asked about where she shops. 

Statement sunglasses are a wearable and fun summer trend.

While school is coming to an end soon, the trends in fashion will not die with the end of the school year. Pushing limits and testing social standards are so important in a time where hate can be “commented” so easily. Thankfully, Watchung Hills is a place to embrace the diversity, and let a unique sense of style shine.