Lady Lax Salutes Seniors

McKenna Frey, Staff Writer

On Thursday May 4th, the Watchung Hills Girls Lacrosse Team celebrated their seven seniors with a ceremony, decorations, and a game against New Providence. The bleachers were filled with supportive fans and the underclassman had spent time making personal posters for the seniors as well as banners that decorated the field. Although the Lady Warriors did not win, the evening was memorable for all especially the seniors.

The seven seniors are Jillian Rakin, Haley Frey, Lauren Trumpore, Julia Minaian, Amy Narakornpichit, Fallon Gourlay, and Rachel Sabnani.  

Jillian Rakin is an attacker who has been on the varsity team for one year. She swung up to Varsity last year and won the award of best attacker on JV. She will be attending Western New England University in the fall majoring in Business and minoring in Psychology. Jillian is known for her crease rolls and her assists to cutters. Her stick skills are very strong and she is good at defending the goalie when they make a save.  

Haley Frey is also an attacker and she has been on the varsity team for all four years. She was captain of the lacrosse her junior and senior year. Haley will be studying Neuroscience and Psychology at Vanderbilt University in the fall. Haley is known for her lacrosse knowledge and field sense. She is able to create plays for others as well as herself by driving towards the goal. She has very good stick skills, is open on transitions a lot and is able to help out everyone on the team in any way.

Lauren Trumpore is a defender and she has been on the varsity team for 2 years. She will be attending Rochester Institute of Technology in the fall. She plans to major in Biotechnology and Molecular Bioscience. Lauren is known for her defensive skills and ability to force a girl back out of the eight meter arc to prevent her from shooting.

Julia Minaian is also a defender and she has been on the varsity team for 2 years. She won the award of best defender on JV when she played on the JV team. She will be attending West Virginia University in the fall with an undecided major. Julia is known for her aggressive defense and she is very good at getting ground balls.  

Amy Narakornpichit has been an attacker on the varsity team for 2 years. She will be attending Rutgers Honor College in the fall and she will study Biomedical Engineering. Amy is a lefty which helps her on attack because most defenders force you to your left side and Amy can take advantage of that and score.

Fallon Gourlay is a defensive midfielder on the varsity team. She has been on varsity for 3 years. She won the most improved award twice. In the fall, she will be attending Indiana University and she will study Nursing. Fallon is extremely aggressive and fast. She is a strong defender and she is known for getting ground balls and shutting down the other team’s offense with her great defense.

Rachel Sabnani was on the varsity team for 3 years but due to injuries, she did not play this year but rather she helps coach the freshman team and she does stats for the varsity team. When she played, she was a defender. She will be going to the University of Notre Dame in the fall and she will study Science Preprofessional Studies.

The lacrosse team is 2-12 as of Saturday when they won their first county tournament game. Despite their record, the girls are still determined to keep fighting and they are a much better team than their record shows. They have faced a very tough schedule playing teams that are ranked in the state. The team will miss the seniors next year but they will have many returning underclassmen.