Diversity Club Making its Mark on the World

How youth is able to become inspired and make a difference

Sofia Kwon, Staff Writer

The Diversity Club at Watchung Hills aims to create a more accepting environment and spread knowledge to others around them. As a club, they strive to raise awareness for many major social issues present around the world, such as the Syrian Refugee Crisis and Islamophobia. In addition to these major social injustices, the club also focuses on injustices that take place in smaller environments, such as our own school. One way that the Diversity Club spreads its message every year is by promoting White Out Bullying, where the club instills innovative ways to spread the message to schools around us.

On May 12, the club took a trip to Kean University to attend a leadership conference that focused on how students are able to make a difference. During this conference, many diversity clubs met with and talked amongst each other. First, all of the clubs learned about a program run by Michael Bober at Hillsborough High School in which they incorporate special-needs students into short films.

The films were then translated by the different groups at the conference creating their own videos. These videos were intended to answer the question, “What inspires youth to get involved and create something important?” After these videos were filmed, each group had a discussion about what was going on in their schools and what they had wanted to see accomplished or changed.

Junior and Diversity Club member Melissa Hertzberg really enjoyed the trip and what it had to offer, as she thought “it was really interesting to discuss similar issues that we have in our school with others and talk about how they approached and solved the problems to see how we can make the best decisions for Watchung Hills.”

After the videos were made, the groups then went back to their school group and discussed the main issues that they intended to focus on for the next school year. This trip was beneficial as it not only helped different diversity clubs to spread their knowledge, but also helped them think about the future for their communities, and ways to improve. Sophomore Eshika Kaul thought that discussing the different problems and solutions was beneficial, as it “allowed for us to figure out new ways to attack the issues we were unable to bring awareness for.”

Sophomore Victoria Pantagis who went on this trip thought that this trip was “a really amazing experience and it inspired me to get involved with the Diversity Club next year so I can help improve our school community!”

This trip to Kean University served as a great, eye opening experience that hopefully more and more students can take part in. The more students that get involved, the more problems that, together, they will be able to solve.