Allergy Season Sweeps Watchung Hills

Seasonal allergies have,
 once again, arrived (Photo by Alex Cofaru/ Shutterstock)

Seasonal allergies have, once again, arrived (Photo by Alex Cofaru/ Shutterstock)

Apsara Rangarajan, Features Writer

Allergy season has dawned upon us, and many people in the Watchung Hills community find themselves incessantly sneezing, coughing, and teary-eyed. Allergies are terrible, but what causes them? For seasonal allergies, pollen, mold, grass, and weather can spur on a breadth of unpleasant symptoms. Freshman Hannah Marszalek noted that “as soon as the flowers start to bloom, the pollen begins to affect me”. Pollen is an extremely common culprit behind spring allergies. High pollen levels are linked with an increased amount of allergy symptoms.

Although allergies can be difficult to cope with, there are many remedies available for treatment. Some come in the form of over the counter medications, while others are more natural remedies aimed at soothing symptoms. Rachel Krouk, a writer here at Arrowhead, has found the over-the-counter medication Zyrtec the most effective for her personally. Hannah Marzalek has discovered a not-so-typical way to go about treating her allergies.“The most effective method would be taking cold medicine as opposed to allergy medicine, for it is stronger and is therefore more helpful than other options,” she explains. If you find yourself with itchy eyes, eye drops may be a good thing to incorporate to treat your allergies. Additionally,  honey is known to have benefits when it comes to allergies, so feel free to have it in teas or drizzled over a dessert, possibly! For those of you with a sweet tooth — try this one out!

It is important to note that what aids in helping your allergies may not yield the same results for someone else. Make sure that you find the products and methods that work for you!

Of course, don’t forget to stay hydrated, rest up, and relax. High school students often struggle to accomplish these things, and it is necessary to keep these tips in mind. These three things may contribute positively not only to treating your allergies, but to maintaining your overall well-being.

Finally, some advice to allergy sufferers from fellow allergy sufferers. Bring your own tissues to class, since it is likely that your classroom will not be stocked with them. Be wary of touching your face, since that can flare allergies. Avoid being outdoors too frequently. Rachel Krouk has some comforting thoughts to help all allergy sufferers make it through this bothersome season: “The pollen season only lasts for a few weeks, so it’ll be over soon!”