TALENT SHOW: ALS Alliance Club Brings School Together While Donating to a Charitable Cause

Katie Tan, Staff Writer

Fundraising with only bake sales becomes boring very easily. WHRHS’s ALS Alliance Club definitely enlivened the concept of fundraising by organizing their third annual Talent Show–a lively, entertaining event that not only showcased students’ and teachers’ talents, but also brought donations to a charitable cause.

ALS Alliance’s mission is to raise money for Project ALS. This nonprofit organization develops research strategies that will lead to the first effective treatments and a cure for ALS. The club also utilizes their fundraisers, such as the Talent Show, to spread awareness of brain-related diseases.

Although just three years old, ALS Alliance has raised over 16 thousand dollars for Project ALS. This year, the club raised $2,300 from their Talent Show!

The Talent Show provided an excellent opportunity for students to break free from the stresses of school to showcase their talents. This year’s acts included Will Johnson singing an original called “Fall Slow” while playing piano, Kathleen Kalb performing a magic trick with cards, Tyreek Thomas rapping an original called the “Real One,” and Alexis and Jenna Rokosny tap dancing to “Hit the Road Jack.”

All of the acts were worthy of an award, but in the end, the judges (Mr. Karnas, Mr. Root, and Mr. Brown) made their decisions: third place belonged to Sophie Frank, who sang “All I Want” by Kodaline while playing ukulele; second place went to Isabella Zhou who danced to “Praise of the Lotus”; and first place went to Matt Luo who performed the Chinese yoyo.

A few of the performers gave their thoughts after their performance. Matt Luo’s performance was incredibly skillful; juggling two discs on a string is much more difficult than many people think! Matt first started seriously learning Chinese yoyo 4 years ago. “I really enjoyed it, so I kept at it and I’m still learning new tricks to this day,” he says.

Mr. Karnas, the organizer of the performance adapted from “Matilda,” says that the performance was a chance for our students to speak out for the values and ideas they think are important to the society. He explains that “the performers also wanted to emphasize the importance of activism and education in acting on those values and raising our young people to stand against injustice, support those in need, respect others, value diversity, and much more.

Senior Katie Morris and Mr. Karnas worked to revise the lyrics of the song from “Matilda,” and Carter Rosen produced a video in which many students wrote statements about what they hope to value when they grow up.

Mr. Karnas continues, saying, “I think it is important that our teachers and adults support their students by being involved in the school community outside of the classroom. I think working with students on this joint project  is a great way to build school spirit and empower the students.”

Of course, behind the scenes of the Talent Show were the ALS Alliance members. President Lynn Zhou is thrilled about the Talent Show’s success; it is her first year as president and her club is already off to a strong start. “What’s great about hosting a talent show is that students and staff who are not part of or do not know about our club can participate and watch. That way, they will not only be aware of the cause we support, but also contribute to our fundraiser. It’s always a great idea to have our school join together with a great cause and also add some fun in it!”

Mrs. Goodson has been ALS Alliance’s advisor for three years and is proud to see how much this club has grown. She holds this club dear to her heart because one of her close family members was diagnosed with this disease. When asked about how thoughts about the Talent Show, Mrs. Goodson exclaimed, “It was absolutely fantastic! This year’s show was bigger and better than it ever was. Everyone is just so supportive.”

In the upcoming months, ALS Alliance is hosting another fundraiser called “Torment Your Teachers,” where students ask teachers if they are willing to be pied in the face if the students donate to them the most. Arrowhead is looking forward to yet another successful fundraising event by the ALS Alliance!