The Creation of WHRHS’s 2018 Musical “Guys and Dolls”

Apsara Rangarajan, Features Writer

This year’s musical at WHRHS is a musical entitled Guys and Dolls. Simply put, Guys and Dolls is a show revolving around the lives of gamblers and is set in 1950s New York City. It was previously on Broadway as well, making it the perfect choice for WHRHS Script and Cue to recreate. Cast member Jack Melillo, a sophomore who plays Nicely-Nicely Johnson, adds that “in the past, WHRHS has done shows that are more unrealistic” but that this show is more grounded in real life struggles and events.

For the actors and actresses in Guys and Dolls, acting is a creative outlet. Dana Wasserman, another sophomore in the musical, commented that her favorite part of acting is “being someone else on stage”. Giovanna DiSanto, a sophomore in the role of a Hot Box Girl, mentioned that “acting is being able to be someone you’re not”. For these actresses, acting allows for a chance to slip into a different mindset and take on a new, refreshing challenge.

Acting is no easy task. In addition to long hours spent on the show, the cast members of Guys and Dolls also manage to juggle schoolwork and extracurriculars. Time management is a must for getting academic work done while pursuing a passion like acting. Dana stated that it “is a challenge, but I just try to procrastinate as little as possible”. Giovanna also noted that there are “a lot of late nights” perfecting various elements, from lines in the script to song delivery. Despite the the added stress, these actors and actresses definitely know that the stress pays off when the show comes to life.

Everyone involved in the show can tell you it takes an army to bring this musical to life. Jack also mentioned that the “collaboration between the production team and the actors is fantastic”. Bringing this year’s show to life has certainly proved to be a team effort.

The cast of the show has clearly developed a personal connection with their respective characters, which will be exciting to see as the play unfolds at WHRHS this March. Break a leg, Guys and Dolls cast and crew!